
The Kentucky Wildcats’ 2025 college football campaign came to a close with an ugly loss on Saturday, falling to the rival Louisville Cardinals with a 41-0 final score.
With this embarrassing shutout loss to end the season, head coach Mark Stoops and his team finished the year with a disappointing 5-7 record.
Since taking over as Kentucky’s head football coach in 2013, Stoops and the Wildcats have amassed an 82-79 overall record. After leading the team to a 10-3 record in 2021, the veteran coach signed a lucrative contract extension with the program through 2031.
Kentucky has notched losing records in each of the last two seasons, failing to bounce back from 2024’s 4-8 finish. Amid these recent struggles, many are wondering if the Stoops era in Lexington is coming to an end.
Stoops was asked about his coaching future following Saturday’s blowout loss to Louisville.
“You think I’m going to walk away. You kidding me? Zero percent chance I walk away. I’m gonna be here as far as I’m concerned,” Stoops said, via team insider Nick Roush.
“Zero means zero. Zero percent chance I walk,” Stoops continued.
More Football: Lane Kiffin Saga Takes Dramatic Turn With Latest SEC Coaching News
While Stoops said he has no plans to walk away from the program, he did acknowledge that he has “bosses” that will ultimately make the final call.
“I have bosses. The media asked me but I am not going anywhere on my account,” Stoops added during his postgame radio show with Tom Leach.
More Football: UCLA Linked to ‘Obvious’ Choice in Head Coaching Search
This statement echoes recent comments Stoops made about his coaching future with the Wildcats.
“Whether you like it or not, I’m a Kentuckian. I’ve been here as long as anywhere I’ve been. I left home at 17, haven’t been back. This is home,” Stoops told reporters earlier this week.
If Kentucky were to fire Stoops, his contract buyout would be just under $38 million.
